The Chapel of St. Luke

In 1652 the altar was dedicated to St. Luke, the patron of artists, with the patronage of the “University of the painters, sculptors and architects of Turin.” In the nineteenth century it assumed its present appearance and in 1920 the large canvas, painted by Luigi Guglielmino, representing St. Luke and

Continue reading


The Chapel of the Madonna Grande

The Chapel of Our Lady of the Snow was also called of the Madonna Grande or of the Blessed Parish Virgin in memory of the primitive church of Santa Maria del Dompno, from which the fifteenth century painted terracotta statue comes. In 1863 the side statues of Saints Joachim and

Continue reading


The Chapel to Saints Crispin and Crispian

The chapel is dedicated to Saint Orso, Crispin and Crispian, protectors of the guild of Shoemakers. The altarpiece, built in the early sixteenth century, is the work of Martin Spanzotti, with the collaboration of Defendente Ferrari. In the center, the Virgin is portrayed while breast feeding. On the sides, after

Continue reading


The Chapel of St. Michael the Archangel

The large canvas portraying Our Lady and Child with Saints John the Baptist, Archangel Michael, Filippo Neri and Francis de Sales, is a masterpiece by the painter Giovanni Bartolomeo Caravoglia and was painted in 1655. In the paintings on its side one can see two more saints very dear to

Continue reading


The Chapel of the Nativity

The central altarpiece, representing the Nativity, was painted by Giovanni Comandù in 1795. On the sides you can see the seventeenth-century mausoleums of two archbishops. Another sepulchral monument, placed outside the chapel, recalls Cardinal Giuseppe Gamba, Archbishop of Turin from 1924 to 1929. It is the work of sculptor Edoardo

Continue reading


The Chapel of St. Second the martyr

During the plague of 1630, the city made a vow to build a chapel for St. Second, martyr of the Theban legion and co-patron saint of Turin. Stucco and paintings were made in the mid-seventeenth century by Casella, artist form Lugano. In the small central altarpiece St. Second is portrayed

Continue reading


The altar of the Crucifix and the pipe organ

The altar is an eighteenth-century work by brothers Ignazio and Filippo Collino; the wooden crucifix is by Francesco Borello. Of great three-dimensional effect are the two marble statues of St. Christina and St. Teresa, sculpted in Rome in 1715 by the great Parisian artist Pierre Legros. Here the Sacrament of

Continue reading


The Sacristy

The winter choir or sacristy of the Chapter, normally not open to visitors, owes its origin to the Archbishop Claude de Seyssel who, in 1520, foresaw there his burial. The work was completed in 1530. The mausoleum of Claude de Seyssel, still conserved in the sacristy, was created by the

Continue reading