The three early Christian basilicas

In the same place as the present Renaissance building, there used to be three churches built in the fourth century and dedicated to Christ the Saviour, to Saint John the Baptist and the Virgin Mary. The liturgical space dedicated to the Baptist, who initially served as a baptistery, was enlarged

Continue reading


The new Renaissance cathedral

After demolishing the three pre-existing churches, the cathedral was rebuilt between 1491 and 1498 for Cardinal Domenico della Rovere, bishop of Turin but residing in Rome at the Papal See. The work was entrusted to a Tuscan architect already active in Rome, Amedeo da Settignano also called Meo del Caprina,

Continue reading


The Chapel of the Holy Shroud

Turin, capital of the Duchy of Savoy since 1563, welcomed the Shroud – which at the time belonged to the Savoy – in 1578. After demolishing the apse of the Renaissance cathedral, an extraordinary chapel was built to guard it. The dome of the Chapel of the Holy Shroud, designed

Continue reading


The restoration

On the night between April 11 and 12, 1997, the Chapel of the Holy Shroud was devastated by a raging fire that flared up on the restoration scaffolding. The Shroud escaped destruction because at that time it was kept in the cathedral choir, outside the chapel. Thanks to the reopening

Continue reading